William M Hang DDS MSDDr. Hang has committed his career to advancing a paradigm of thinking in orthodontics that rejects traditional retractive techniques in patients of all ages. His Face Focused® treatment techniques are designed to: develop the jaws forward, never backward; create better facial balance & more pleasing facial appearance; protect and/or expand the airway; and produce broad smiles that are complete to the corners of the mouth. When it comes to orthodontics Dr. Hang does not believe that one treatment can fit every patient. Over the years, experience has taught him that the easier way to treat is not always the best way to treat. But, he always strives to keep treatment times shorter rather than longer. His goals are: to educate as many patients, parents and professionals about the benefits of the Face Focused® Philosophy as possible; to continue to develop treatments based on Face Focused® principles for patients of all ages; and to teach these methods to other dentists and orthodontists worldwide through seminars, workshops and mini-residencies. The 3 areas of expertise for which he is best known are…
Orthotropics ®Dr. Hang teaches an Orthotropics® mini-residency for orthodontists and general dentists from around the world. Residents learn how to optimize facial development in young children during four 2-day sessions held over the course of one year.
Re-Opening Extraction SpacesExtraction spaces can be re-opened and teeth replaced with implants for many patients. Dr. Hang shares his experience with re-opening extraction spaces in a 2 day lecture.
Obstructive Sleep ApneaIn all of his courses, Dr. Hang presents non-surgical and surgical treatment plans that aim to prevent or eliminate OSA.
- 1970 – BS University of Illinois
- 1970 – DDS with honors University of Illinois – Alpha Omega Award for graduating number 1 out of a class of 92; Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honorary
- 1974 – MSD in Orthodontics University of Minnesota
- 1974-74 – Assistant Professor of Orthodontics University of Minnesota
- 1970-1972 – General dentist United States Air Force
- 1975-1996 – Private practice Rutland, Vermont
- 1976-1996 – Cleft Palate Panel for Southern Vermont
- 1997 to present – Private practice Westlake Village and Agoura Hills, California.
- Foundation for Airway Health – Member
- California Dental Association – Member
- California Association of Orthodontists – Member
- American Dental Association – Member
- American Association of Orthodontists – Lifetime Member
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain – Member
- Academy of Applied Myofunctional Sciences – Member
- North American Association of Facial Orthotropics® – Member, Founding President, Board Member
- International Association of Facial Growth Guidance – Member
- American Association of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry – Member, Board Member
- Academy of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy – Member, Advisory Board Member
Lecturing:Local, national, and international speaker on topics including the Orthotropics® technique, orthodontics and the Posterior Airway Space, guidance of tooth eruption and prevention of tooth impaction, facial esthetics, and obstructive sleep apnea’s relationship to facial development at venues including the Yankee Dental Congress, American Association of Orthodontists, University of California San Francisco, Medical College of Virginia, South Dakota Society of Orthodontists, West Michigan Academy of General Dentistry Study Club, University of Texas Orthodontic Alumni Association, Harvard University School of Dentistry Orthodontic Program, Stanford University School of Medicine Sleep Center, University of Southern California Odontic Study Group, North American Society for the Study of Orthodontics, Spanish Society for Facial Growth Guidance, International Association of Facial Growth Guidance Symposiums, American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, International Association for Orthodontics, American Academy of Gnathological Orthopedics, Northern California Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, International Association for Orofacial Myology, International Association of Comprehensive Aesthetics, Academy for Comprehensive Esthetics, LVI Study Clubs, Canadian Chapter of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, The Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorders Disciplines, The American Association of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, Australian Chapter of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, University of the Pacific Dental Alumni Association, Academy of Applied Myofunctional Sciences, The American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, The Weston Price Foundation, The Dental Solution Australia, Institut Georges Portmann, The Star of the South Dental Meeting, Dental Ceramics USA, American Equilibration Society, Eastern Washington Medical/Dental Summit IV
Recent Lecture Titles:
- “AIRWAY-kening™; Dentistry…To Become the Center of Health Care”
- “Orthodontic Success in the Coming Post-Retraction World”
- “Orthodontics & Restorative Dentistry – Partnering for Optimal Airway Health”
- “Why OSA Would Not Exist”
- “Facial & Airway Development for All Ages”
- “Does Orthodontics As Well As Nutrition and Growth Affect the Airway?”
- “Myo + Ortho: A Collaborative Preventive Health Care Model”
- “Can Facial Growth Be Changed To Impact Health and Longevity?”
- “Surgical & Non-Surgical Orthodontics in the Coming Post-Retraction World”
- “Orthodontics & Dentistry – Partnering for Optimal Airway Health”
- “AIRWAY-kening™ Orthodontics for All Ages”
- “Canine Impaction Identified Early with Panoramic Radiographs” Lindauer, Rubenstein, Hang, Anderson, Isaacson; Journal of the American Dental Association, March 1992
- “The Magic Number” Hang; Ortodoncia Clinica, No. 1, Vol. 1, 1998
- “Impact on Facial Esthetics of Using Broad vs. Narrow Orthodontic Archwire Forms” Hang; Ortodoncia Clinica, No. 2, Vol. 1, 1998
- “Facial Esthetic Changes Resulting from Re-opening Previously Closed Orthodontic Extraction Spaces” Hang; Ortodoncia Clinica, No. 1, Vol. 2, 1999
- “From Crowding to Headaches to OSA: Orthodontics’ 20 Year Metamorphosis from Smile Making to Life Saving” Hang; The Journal – American Academy of Gnathologic Orthopedics, Vol. 22, Number 4, 2005
- “Surgery With and Without a Scalpel” Hang; The Journal – American Academy of Gnathologic Orthopedics, Vol. 22, Number 4, 2005
- “How Many Years Must a Profession Exist…?” Hang; The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice, April 2006, Vol. 24, No. 2
- “Exploring Our Future Roles of Orofacial Myology – Becoming a Front Line Warrior in Health Care” International Association of Orofacial Myology Newsletter, September, 2006
- “Evaluation of the Posterior /Airway Space Following Biobloc Therapy: Geometric Morphometrics”, The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice, April 2007, Vol. 25, No. 2
- “Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Dentistry’s Unique Role in Longevity Enhancement”, Journal of the American Orthodontic Society, Spring 2007.
- “Reversing Retractive Orthodontics with Biobloc Orthotropics®”, The Journal of Gnathologic Orthopedics and Facial Orthotropics, Dec 2013, Vol. 30, No. 4
- “Airway Centric® TMJ Philosophy/Airway Centric® Orthodontics Ushers in the Post-Retraction World of Orthodontics”, The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice, March 2017, Vol. 35, No. 2
- Appeared on London, England’s Channel 4 “Tooth Troubles” aired 12/2/99 (British equivalent of “Sixty Minutes”) which explored differences in facial esthetics of traditional orthodontics vs. postural orthodontics
- Developed an educationally oriented website (www.facefocused.com)
- Developed the Hang Expancer – patent granted
- Developed the Hang Clasp – patent granted
- Developed the ADAPT-LGR® – patent granted
- Dr. Hang teaches the Orthotropics® technique to optimize facial development of young children in a four session mini-residency for orthodontists and general dentists with students from throughout the world.
- Dr. Hang presents 2-day lectures on the diagnosis, treatment planning, and treatment execution of adolescent and adult cases to optimize esthetics, function, and longevity called “Orthodontic Success in the Coming Post-Retraction World”.
- Dr. Hang has patients come from 20 states and 5 foreign countries for his unique treatment.
- Dr. Hang presents 2-day lectures with oral surgeon Dr. Reza Movahed on the diagnosis, treatment planning and treatment execution of surgery cases to optimize esthetics, function, and often eliminate OSA called “Surgical & Non-Surgical Orthodontics in the Post-Retraction World”.
- Dr. Hang was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the AAPMD “For a Lifetime of Dedication, Innovation and Courage Developing Techniques & Education in Airway Orthodontics and Changing the Lives of Practitioners and Patients”.